Friday, January 25, 2008

One Step Closer...

ETS orders* in hand - a wonderful feeling. While it may seem silly for two 20-somethings jumping with glee in their kitchen over a silly piece of paper, for us it means a new beginning. We’re exploring job options across the Southeast and hope to know our location-to-be within a month.

I do feel a bit lost. So much freedom; freedom of choice is on the horizon. We get to choose where we live, what type of house to buy and what kind of job to accept - it really is a bit overwhelming. I find myself obsessing over large salaries, granite tile and stainless steel appliances…hardly signs of a simple life. I am torn between wanting it all (perfect job, perfect house, perfect car, etc…) and wanting a minimalist existence that promotes nothing but clarity and piece of mind.

We admire the adventurous spirit of Jennifer and Andrew. I would love to sell most of our possessions and go travel for a year or two and return to the ‘real-world’ but I doubt we will. I fear becoming a suburban drone with a late model car and the newest shiny things but yet part of me wants that life…pearls and all. I turn 25 in a month. I am convinced that I am having a quarter-life crisis, Clay says I am overreacting (who…ME?). What do I want out of life? I am lucky that I have a portion of my pie of life figured out…I do know that I want to spend the rest of my life with the best husband and greatest guy (in case there is any confusion, I am talking about Clay).

Maybe one day I will wake up and everything will be clear and presented to me in an easy to read outline format with footnotes. Until then, we will continue to beam with excitement over our soon-to-be life change.

*estimated time of separation from military service

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats!! That is so exciting.

Madison, Luke, and Alexander said...

We're so excited things are falling into place for you. Remember, that no matter what job you have, what your house looks like, or what kind of car you drive, they are all Eartly things. Keep God first and pray for your future. If you do that, you can't go wrong!
We love you both.
Martha and the rest of my crew

Christine said...

yipeee!!! I am thrilled for you guys.

Whatever decisions you make will turn out to be just right. I am not totally sure yet, but I think we can have granite and still keep our feet on the ground. It is pretty cool to have the opportunity to start from scratch, BUT it is scary!!

Even though you do NOT need it, GOOD LUCK deciding.

A good quarterlife crisis book: www.christinehassler.com

Jackie: said...

I can't wait to read about all your new adventures! Congrats!