Saturday, May 3, 2008

A Sign of the Times...

This morning while eating a bowl of Rice Krispies (Karen) and Honey Bunches of Oats w/ Strawberries (Clay) we checked our online bank account, a common practice because of our massive spending spree as of late. Well, some heathen stole our checking account number from a piece of mail that was never delivered, made a duplicate card and purchased $200 worth of gas in Bronx, New York yesterday evening. Our bank is taking care of everything but we're lucky that we check our account on a daily basis or this scum would have continued to purchase gas with our money. We're huge fans of online banking because it gives us the opportunity to keep an eye on our hard earned money regardless of place or time. Check your statements to make sure the same thing has not happened to you, apparently it is becoming more common as the gas prices continue to rise.

5 comments:

Jackie: said...

Oh my gosh! People stink. Glad you were able to pick up on this right away. I don't check our account everyday but I will now. Thanks for the heads up!

Rose said...

Good thing you caught it!

Was that $200 in a single transaction?

Fran said...

That completely sucks. And how interesting that they chose to buy gas instead of electronics or jewelry or something. Maybe they thought you wouldn't notice? *sigh* I guess I'll be paying a lot more attention to my statements, too!

Anonymous said...

Hey, neighbor! I tried to write you an email but it was returned...just wanted to tell you I live not too far from you and wondered if you wanted to meet up sometime? At the Raleigh flea market (I love this place) or coffee or shopping or whatever. Cary has some great shopping - really all of Raleigh is pretty great about that. Send me an email - crystal0901@hotmail.com. Just this past week I was rummaging thru some things and found the pics you sent me from Fort Drum. I was wondering how you were and then so surprised to find out we live so close now! I hope you're enjoying NC! Welcome...(oh, and wait until you check out the prices on groceries here - its outrageous, even by civilian standards!!!)

Briana said...

That sucks! Do you have USAA? Last summer someone stole Ryan's credit card number and ran up $1000 in charges before we caught it. The bank took care of it though, I love USAA!