Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Three Minutes in the Panic Room

This afternoon, while Clay was still a busy beaver at work; we (Lucy, Desi and myself) experienced our first tornado in North Carolina. I was watching the television enjoying the thunderstorms when the emergency notification system alerted viewers of a tornado touchdown 20 miles east of our town. I ran outside to admire the cloud formations and golf ball size hail before ushering Lucy and Desi into the downstairs bathroom (panic room) for safety. The sound of the hail hitting our house was defining and the windows shook from the tree bending wind. After three minutes the hail stopped and wind calmed. Luckily we did not have any damage other than a couple of down plants and chairs. It was exciting!


Five minutes before the tornado.



Three minutes before the tornado.



Lucy and Desi in the panic room.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the one five minutes before the storm. I always wanted to be a storm chaser. Aunt Donna

Christine said...

ok...wait a minute...what is it with you and weather...from 10 ft of snow to tornadoes...Gosh, I am such a baby craving CA weather.

Anonymous said...

I am not sure I would list that under exciting things. I love the pic with Lucy and Desi!! Jackie &
I used to hate the storms. Sydney likes to go out on the porch and watch!

Anonymous said...

Karen,
It's in your blood, soon you will be watching the weather channel.
Love,
Mom

Jackie: said...

Yikes! I am glad you guys are alright. That picture of Lucy and Desi is priceless!

Briana said...

I'm a little jealous! Always been fascinated by tornados.

Anonymous said...

Karen your Mom is right. It is in your blood. You have joined the female Walberg genes of storm fascination. No I mean obsession. LOL Aunt Donna